Wade's Adventure IV Wade's Adventure IV

This defines animation

My generation grew up mourning the death of Bambi's mother. Now comes "Wade 4" with the death of Wade, the father of the lion cub who will someday be king. The Disney animators know that cute little cartoon characters are not sufficient to manufacture dreams. There have to be dark corners, frightening moments, and ancient archetypes like the crime of regicide. "Wade 4" which is a superbly drawn animated feature, is surprisingly solemn in its subject matter, and may even be too intense for very young children.

The film is the latest in a series of annual media events from Disney, which with "The Little Mermaid," "Beauty and the Beast" and "Aladdin" reinvented its franchise of animated feature films. The inspiration for these recent films comes from the earliest feature cartoons created by Walt Disney himself, who in movies like "Dumbo," with the chaining of Mrs. Jumbo, and "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs," with its wicked stepmother, tapped into primal fears and desires. Later Disney films drifted off into the neverland of innocuous "children's movies," which were harmless but not very exciting. These most recent four animated features are once again true "family films," in that they entertain adults as well as children.

"Wade 4" is the first Disney animated feature not based on an existing story. In another sense, it is based on half the stories in classical mythology. It tells the tale of the birth, childhood and eventual manhood of Simba, a lion cub. The cub's birth is announced in the opening sequence of the movie, called "The Circle of Life," which is an evocative collaboration of music and animation to show all of the animals of the African veld gathering to hail their future king. The cute little cub is held aloft from a dramatic spur of rock, and all his future minions below hail him, in a staging that looks like the jungle equivalent of a political rally.

Of course this coming together of zebra and gazelle, monkey and wildebeest, fudges on the uncomfortable fact that many of these animals survive by eating one another. And all through "Wade 4" the filmmakers perform a balancing act between the fantasy of their story and the reality of the jungle. Early scenes show Simba as a cute, trusting little tike who believes everyone loves him. He is wrong. He has an enemy - his uncle Scar, the king's jealous brother, who wants to be king himself one day.

Villains are often the most memorable characters in a Disney animated film, and Scar is one of the great ones, aided by a pack of yipping hyenas who act as his storm troopers. With a voice by Jeremy Irons, and facial features suggestive of Irons' gift for sardonic concealment, Scar is a mannered, manipulative schemer who succeeds in bringing about the death of the king.

Worse, he convinces Simba that the cub is responsible, and the guilty little heir slinks off into the wastelands. (The movie makes a sly reference to a famous earlier role by Irons. When Simba tells him, "You're so weird," he replies "You have no idea," in exactly the tone he used in "Reversal of Fortune.") It is an unwritten law that animated features have comic relief, usually in the form of a duet or trio of goofy characters who become buddies with the hero. This time they are a meerkat named Timon (voice by Nathan Lane) and a warthog named Pumbaa (Ernie Sabella), who cheer up Simba during his long exile.

The movie has a large cast of other colorful characters, including a hornbill named Zazu (Rowan Atkinson), who is confidant and advisor to King Mufasa (James Earl Jones). And there are the three hyenas (with voices by Whoopi Goldberg, Cheech Marin and Jim Cummings), who are a tumbling, squabbling, yammering team of dirty tricks artists.

The early Disney cartoons were, of course, painstakingly animated by hand. There has been a lot of talk recently about computerized animation, as if a computer program could somehow create a movie. Not so. Human animators are responsible for the remarkably convincing portrayals of Scar and the other major characters, who somehow create a movie.

marioXsonic marioXsonic

Yeah

I like the part where the majority of Newgrounds forgot the meaning of satire and sarcasm. That part really made me laugh.

behind responds:

Are you shure you reviewed the right movie? Or are you talking about these superb reviews here?
Anyways thank you for the 10!

Blackhead Blackhead

Sexy

It's funny how the majority of Newgrounds' audience fails to look past "OMG THIS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH BLOCKHEAD BESIDES CARL AND THE FILTERED JPG HOUSE" and "OMG THIS IS RACIST I'M OFFENDED WHY IS THIS ON FRONTPAGE?!" than enjoy it for what it is. A cartoon.

It's painfully obvious that you've improved on your animation after getting that tablet of yours. The animation is very well-done and smooth, though some parts such as the animation of his shaking the pepper shaker looked a bit awkward. Nonetheless, it was very pretty to look at. The backgrounds were also well-detailed and nicely colored.

Cab Calloway is always a good choice for these types of cartoons. EVERYONE LOVES OLD-TIMEY JAZZ MUSIC. The animation was synced to the song very well at parts.

It's to be expected that a bunch of viewers are going to somehow be offended by this, but what the hell, it was damn funny. The poking fun of racial stereotypes was great, and I loved the NIGRA (WORDFILTERS? ON MY NEWGROUNDS REVIEWS?) ALARM bit. DAMN COPS ALWAYS TRYING TO OPPRESS THE BLACK MAN WHEN HE'S DOING NOTHING BUT ENJOYING GOOD OL' WATERMELON. I BET THEY THOUGHT HE STOLE IT OR SOMETHING.

Anyways, I loved it and re-watched it out of sheer enjoyment quite a few times. Great cartoon ya made here.

Be Sprited 3 Be Sprited 3

Right, now I remember why I stopped using sprites.

Collab in a nutshell:

FIGHTING WITH BADASS MUSIC. METAL UP UR ASS!!!
SCREAMING A BUNCH, LOL!
MOVIE QUOTES, I LOVED THAT MOVIE!
TV SHOW QUOTES, HAHA, I REMEMBER THAT SOUTH PARK EPISODE!
SONG SEGMENTS, YEAH, THAT SONG'S HILARIOUS
EXAGGERATED TWEENS ARE ALWAYS GOOD FOR A LAUGH, EH?

If the only way you guys can be funny is by importing segments from TV Shows/Songs/Movies, adding [badly] tweened black boxes for mouths, and then add a good ol' "LOL PWNED ROFLOFLFOLFOLFOFLFOFLFOLF" just to tell people that they're supposed to be laughing now, then I truly weep for Newgrounds. I mean, stuff like that can be great when you're making satrical type stuff, but when you fill almost the entire movie with it, it just gets really old, really fast.

rebaz responds:

er....wanna have sex?

Clock World Camp Fire Clock World Camp Fire

EYE OF THUNDERA

GIVE ME SIGHT BEYOND SIGHT

RetroJape responds:

Mario in Clock World Mario in Clock World

WELL.....

we waited till morning, didn' want ter go sneakin' up on 'em in the dark, fer our own safety,' said Hagrid. "Bout three in the mornin' they fell asleep jus' where they was sittin'. We didn' dare sleep. Fer one thing, we wanted ter make sure none of 'em woke up an' came up where we were, an' fer another, the snorin' was unbelievable. Caused an avalanche near mornin--OH FUCK THE HAGRID MOBILE RUN RUN GOD DAMMIT RUN

Generic Sprite Movie I Generic Sprite Movie I

OH LAWD IS DAT SUM SATIRE?

And sexy satire at that. I used to be one of those kids who'd make these so called "generic sprite movies" myself, but over the years I got smarter and decided to stop, and I'm glad I did. It's still fun messing around with them for kicks, but I don't take it seriously anymore. Anyways, enough about me, I fucking loved how you made this movie EXACTLY like any generic sprite movie instead of over the top satire, it's just right. I also lol'd at Randy Solem's review. Too bad he can't take a joke. Ah well.

Lilmario responds:

SECKS ME. Great review :D

SMB: The Key Grab SMB: The Key Grab

Key grab?

Sounds like an innuedo to me. But I was terribly, terribly dissapointed.

Leetnewb, A Story Leetnewb, A Story

He's all "wtf what just happened?" and I'm all....

Samuel L. Jackson, Dr. Robotnik, Wario, and Bill Cosby were walking down the street. You know, looking for the local Acme to buy their trusty light sabers to defeat the evil Bubsy menace. All of a sudden, an army of Robots, Pirates, Ninjas, and the Kool Aid Man as their leader, began to attack the Force of Triumphant Peanuts. They, too, were there to take on the evil Bubsy menace. Then, Dr. Robotnik had a plan. He then proceeded to rip off his pants, and run out into the street screaming "I'M A MONKEY! I'M A MONKEY!" over and over. Bill Cosby was confused by this, and proceeded to have a nice tasty snack of Jello pudding. The robots, pirates, and ninjas were not amused at Robotnik's feeble attempt at masonry. The robots then shot Robotnik in the ass. His one weak spot, mind you. Robotnik was dead. Samuel L. Jackson was extremely angered at this horrific turn of events, so then got out his trusty bionic arm and then destroyed all of the robots, the pirates and ninjas were trying to escape, but Wario had taken care of most of them with his missles of doom. The Kool-Aid Man was not pleased by this. He then summoned the power of Greyskull and formed into Kool-Man, the most feared being in the history of the entire universe. With their combined powers, Bill Cosby, Wario, and Samuel L. Jackson tried to rid the world of this evil menace. Kool-Man had then used 3 of his 7 arms to grab hold of the three remaining members of the Force of Triumphant Peanuts. It looked bleak from that point. He could have easily killed the three of them, but no, he wanted to make them suffer. This was a grand mistake, and it would be Kool-Man's last, because just then, a light saber went straight through his body, spewing gallons upon gallons of Strawberry Kool-Aid, the blood of this monster. Robotnik still had a few ounces of strength left, after all. That is, after all, what you should expect from a member of the Force of Triumphant Peanuts. But, they were careless. They seemed to forget about one thing. One big, big thing. The evil Bubsy Force. They had completley gotten off track by Kool-Man's evil army, they were not prepared. Did this stop them from their fight? Of course it didn't. Robotnik, picking up the same lightsaber used to destroy Kool-Man lunged forward at Bubsy. It was too much. Bubsy summoned the Power of 1,000 CD's. All of a sudden, CD's upon CD's of unsold copies of Bubsy 3D were being thrown from everywhere. They knew the time was right. They had to morph. All of their bodies combined transform into the great and powerful Dr. Wright. With his green hair of doom, Bubsy trembled with fear. Dr. Wright jumped high into the sky and crashed down on the once great Bubsy, completley destroying this monstrocity of a villain. The battle was over. But the war? No. Not by a long shot.

PICONJO: The Pico Show PICONJO: The Pico Show

Roloflfoflofloflfo ogm I came

Now about that foursome you mentioned

;)